Hi there

Welcome to my blog!



My current job is in higher education (academic library), with my role firmly situated in the research data management space. So no need to really guess the type of people, events and information I seek out.

I'm seriously interested in Open Access issues, discovery and re-use of research data (including licensing and citing data) and the leadership role libraries can play in these areas.

I'm new to blogging, but can immediately see the benefits of connecting and sharing with others stimulated by the same issues as myself.

Thursday 31 January 2013

A brief exploration of Second Life

Kathryn's Jokaydia snapshots
Entering into a virtual world such as Second Life is something so outside anything I have ever done. I've never been into computer gaming, which is really what I equate Second Life to. I was totally dissatisfied with my avatar, ending up with one that was so far removed from who I am and what I look like. Even after quite a bit of tweaking, no joy. I wonder how important authenticity and keeping it real in Second Life is?

My initial thoughts were that I was going to struggle with this activity. Surprisingly, I've found Jokaydia  fascinating to explore, beautiful, and in some ways a relaxing place. It can be a little lonely though. There's much to master and understand. Unfortunately, time constraints have meant that so far I've only managed to scratch the surface. However, I intend to visit in the next little while and will try adopting a more positive approach to learning in this kind of environment - keeping an open mind. 

I'm sure there is much to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.